"Paint the picture of your life, live it, and make it a masterpiece"!!

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Emotional Eating raises Blood Pressure


This pic is of me at 200 lbs out eating with friends 8/2007. My face was so fat and round. I ordered a bunch of food this day.

Have you ever had a bad day and went to the refrigerator/pantry to soothe yourself? I did. After I had the baby (in may 2008) my blood pressure went up substantially. It skyrocketed to 140/95. My devastatingly high numbers weren't even enough to whip me into shape. In fact, I continued to buy salty processed foods, big bottles of salt to dump on food, and down a whole bag of crunchy, puffy, yummy cheetos in one sitting (the bigggg bag). One day I asked my husband to go and buy me a bag of cheetos (they were my favorite snack back when I wasn't eating healthy). I ate the WHOLE BAG in 1 hour while watching my favorite show 'Wife Swap'. Something told me to 'take my blood pressure' after I finished licking my cheesy fingers so i whipped out the electronic gadget and took the batteries out the remote to put in the blood pressure monitor. When the numbers popped up the machine started beeping with a red light (something I've never seeen it do). My blood pressure was up to 170/110! I will never forget seeing those numbers. I went into a panic. The first thing we do when we panic as human beings is go for a glass of water.
I went and had a bottle of water and hoped that my blood would stop pumping so hard against my veins as I down the whole 16 oz bottle. I then remembered that banannas are filled with potassium so they naturally lower your blood pressure. I ate one. I looked around the kitchen for more home remedies to lower my pressure. A-hah! I saw a box of oatmeal and I ate almost the whole box. I went and sat down and waited a half hour and took my pressure again. It was down to 150/99 which was better than the previous reading. That was another one of my a-hah moments where I finally decided to eat better and stop downing a whole bag of chips. That moment in my life is what took me to where I am today - on a journey to a better and healthier me. By the way, today my numbers sit at 116/78 and the highest i've seen it go in the past 6 months is 120/85. God is GOOD!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT POST...WE AZ AFRICAN AMERICANZ HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THE WAY THAT R BAD EATING HABITZ CAN CONTRIBUTE 2 ALL KINDZ OF DISEASEZ, ESPECIALLY DIABETEZ...IM GLAD U RECOGNIZED IT B4 IT WAZ 2 LATE...UR PROGREZZ STATZ LOOKZ GOOD...KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK...

    ReplyDelete
  2. how true 2bossay my hubby was diagnosed with Diabetes at 31 and it was scary as anything!

    You are doing great keep up the good work!
    Here is a link to that blog where the poster takes pics of her food on the plates!
    http://trimthefat-marisa.blogspot.com/2009/01/i-survived.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny about the cheetoes,,those were my favorite also. Of course I would eat the whole entire bag. Thank God I don't eat like that anymore....

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin