"Paint the picture of your life, live it, and make it a masterpiece"!!

Friday, July 10, 2009

High Blood Pressure in Black Women


They call it the silent killer. High blood pressure can cause a host of issues if left untreated. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure a few months ago and since then, I have been on a drug called hydrochlorothiazide, also called HCTZ 25mg (a diuretic). I take 1 pill a day. They say my blood pressure is not high enough to put me on something a little more powerful. The average American woman's blood pressure is 120/80 but prior to taking meds, mine was in the 145/95 range. Not dangerously high, but high enough to cause concern.
My doctor said the HCTZ will rid me of water weight. Thats the drugs primary function. When the water drains out through my kidneys, it will also flush the salt along with it. The results will be a lower blood pressure. Well, I have taken the drug for a month now, and my blood pressure has went down to 130/90 which is awesome.
Now, you are asking yourself, how does this post relate to weight loss. Well, HCTZ has been known to slow down weight loss. The drug does rid you of water weight which is every PMS'ing woman's dream, however, the drug also spikes your blood sugar! High blood sugar means that you are going to be hungry not long after you eat because your body processes the food so fast... which will cause weight gain and possible insulin resistance.
So, what should I do. Should I look to western medicine to rid me of my high blood pressure, or should I do it the natural and safe way. That would be proper diet and excercise. I have been eating proper for the past 7 months, but I was eating salt along with my foods. We will see how this goes with the salt free diet and the diuretic prescribed medication. So far, so good but the fact that my blood sugar is at risk worries me. I am going to get my blood sugar checked next week and tell you guys my numbers.

1 comment:

  1. I would really reccomend acupuncture for your condition. I too, had a blood pressure reading that was considered borderline high. My doctor wanted to put me on medication, but I asked if I could try acupuncture instead and she agreed. The acupuncturist told me that I came at a good time since I didn't take meds yet, though it would still be beneficial if I had. It just works faster without them. A session lasts typically once a week for an hour for about 12wks. After the firt couple of times I went, I felt noticeably different. I even lost about 10lbs after 3 months without changing anything in my diet or exercise. In fact, when I went back to the Dr. she said my pressure was good and asked what medication did she put me on. I told her I went to an acupuncturist and she asked me for his number and address! So try it. It has many other benefits as well! Make sure that you are using a licensed acupuncturist though.
    www.mahlah1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin